Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Fun!

When I think of Labor Day, I think of the opposite of labor. I think of being lazy all day long and recuperating from the stress of normal life. Well, considering our Labor Day started at 5:15 a.m. and ended at 11:30 p.m.... it was anything but lazy and quite exhausting but full of fun times.
Steve is quite a serious fisherman. He figures there's no reason to go fishing if you don't get there before the fish wake up to eat breakfast. Steve works with a man who is the caretaker of a wonderful farm. The farm has a great "fishing hole" and lot's of animals and wildlife. It also has swamp land. Every once in awhile he tells us "y'all come fishin" (thanks Mr. Jim).

We got to the farm before sun up and McKay was the first one to get her pole in the water. At her second cast she caught a large mouth bass (although still a baby).

The guys went off to do their thing and so that left Kaylee, McKay, me and a bucket full of crickets. I have no problem worming a hook, but catching a crawling insect and stabbing it with a hook (I swear they bite even though I kept telling the kids they don't) is more than I can stomach. So... McKay became our official hook baiter. She was excellent at it.

Steve caught the next bass and I must say it was the largest of the day. Owen followed with a nice one caught while the guys were out in the boat.








Yummy Lunch Time!!


Yucky fish cleaning time!! Kaylee was getting into it!!



If you've kept count, Griffin and I didn't catch anything!! Instead of persevering like Griffin did, I turned to observing the wildlife.



This is Cory! He made our outing quite fun! He looks like a lab, but has the shortest legs (like a hot dog) he's so sweet.

Free range chickens and roosters!!

This was part of the beautiful swamp land.

Thanks honey for dragging me out of bed at 5:15 am. It was well worth it!

1 comment:

Shellie said...

Your kids are getting so big! Glad you had a fun Labor Day! :)