Saturday, October 25, 2008

Accomplishments




The loss of a baby tooth is quite a milestone in a parent's life. Sure, it's a big deal to a child but for a parent it signifies a step away from babyhood. It shows that your baby is growing up. While this is a great thing in many ways, it's just another reminder about how fast time flies. McKay has already lost several baby teeth but none have affected me as much as the loss of her first top tooth. When the bottom teeth first came out, her looks weren't that different. In fact, when she smiled you couldn't even tell she had one missing. Not the case with her top tooth. It became loose about two months ago. It was a very slow process and as I've watched it, I've dreaded the day it would fall out. As it became looser, she started having a gap between the two top teeth. I had a glimpse of how different she would look once there was a gaping hole in the middle of her smile. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing cuter than a toothless grin (as long as it's on someone else's child). Then to add insult to injury, the other night McKay came running with a tissue in her mouth and her tooth in her hand. She had pulled it out HERSELF. I hope I will adjust to this new phase without too much sadness. Besides, she still has one more and I have a whole 'nother child with two intact top teeth. I don't know if that makes it better or worse!



Owen finished the second Eragon book. He loved the beginning, got bored in the middle and liked the ending. He loves that he can read one book per quarter and have all of his points.



McKay had the most points in her class for Accelerated Reader and so she got a special present. She received a puzzle and at first wasn't that excited about it, but once she got the hang of it... she's put it together several times. The first time, she asked me to take a picture of it completed and low and behold, she dropped it. She got busy and put it together again so we finally got a picture. She dropped it again right after the picture.




Kaylee's accomplishment this week is that she got well all on her own. We didn't have to go to the doctor or get a prescription or anything!! Way to go Kaylee.



Griffin made me very proud of him yesterday. He came home and said that he had "broken up" with his girlfriend. He said that he didn't think she was right for him because she didn't always say the nicest words and she didn't get very good grades. Although I felt a little sorry for her where her grades were concerned, I was pleased to see Griffin make such a mature decision.


Steve gets Kudos for asking me out on a date this week. He usually works on the weekends and so if we want a date, we have to have one during the afternoon while the kids are at school. It's been awhile since we've had a real life date, so I'm excited. We're going to see "Fireproof" which is supposed to be really good. I'll let you know how it is.

My accomplishment this week is learning that I have a talent for milking goats. My sister-in-law and her family are going away next week and have asked me to be their "farm sitter". I was a little nervous about the whole milking aspect, but I was so encouraged by my nieces and nephews that I caught on really quickly. Thanks for the cheers and encouragement Val, Daniel, Carolyn, Joseph, Benjamin, Grace, Thomas, Nathaniel and Julieanne.













2 comments:

Mike and Wendy said...

I was just thinking tonight as I was laying in bed with the kids after they had fallen asleep of the quote that says something to the effect of 'the days are long and the years are short'. I've been sad lately because Malia is 10 months today which means she's almost through infancy. :( I have to constantly remind myself of this. Why do they have to grow up?!
I've made our blog private. If you'd like to continue viewing it I'll need your email address so I can send you an invite. My email address is huffalupagus@aol.com

Colemans said...

Oh my goodness that is so true about the loss of your child's baby teeth. Haydn has lost teeth from the bottom but when he lost his two front teeth I cried. My little boy will never have the same smile. The smile I had grown so fond of is now gone and something new has replaced it. :( A new smile to love. :) So sad but happy at the same time. Being a mother is so often bitter sweet because you know they have to grow up and you eventually have to let go.